Patients, there is an exciting benefit we would like to share with you. The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) has a program that provides a temporary discount on internet bills to help families stay connected during the pandemic. The program will last until funds run out or up to six months after the pandemic ends, whichever is sooner.
The benefit is called the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB). The EBB aims to help households that are struggling financially with internet service during this pandemic.
If one member of a household:
- Has an income that is AT or BELOW 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain government assistance programs (such as SNAP or Medicaid);
- Receives benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, or did so in the 2019-2020 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating broadband provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
Benefits of the EBB
All Medi-Cal recipients are eligible, and the benefits will not affect health coverage. The benefits include:
- Up to $50 per month to help cover internet costs.
- One-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, tablet or desktop computer. Check this list of internet providers offering connected devices in California.
How to Apply
- Contact your preferred participating broadband provider directly to learn about their application process.
- Go to GetEmergencyBroadband.org to apply online and to find participating providers near you.
- Call 833-511-0311 for a mail-in application, and return it along with proof of eligibility to:
Emergency Broadband Support Center
P.O. Box 7081
London, KY 40742
Act Fast – Apply Online!
The program will last until funds run out or up to six months after the end of the COVID-19 pandemic, whichever is sooner.
Our members should apply online immediately through Get Emergency Broadband or by mail to Emergency Broadband Support Center, P.O. Box 7081, London, Kentucky 40742.
Others Who May Qualify
Additionally, you are eligible if one person in your home meets any of the following requirements:
- Loss of income from job loss since February 29, 2020, and the total household income is less than $99,000 annually, or
- Receive food assistance through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) formerly known as Food Stamps, or
- Receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments, or
- Receive Medicaid, or
- Receive Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit.
Check out www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit for a Consumer FAQ and other program resources.